Color, color, and more color. I just need me some color! I’ve 2 designs brewing in the pot. The first is to design and create curtains for my living space which reflect more of my current personal style and bring more life / color into my home. My original post on creating these curtains is found on my old blog.
"Arrr... watch ye gold mates!" Photo courtesy of @Spritely76
The second is to design a sturdy, Mediterranean feeling, belly-dancy, chic changing room for the Pirate Queens of Wildhair Studio to use for MedFest09. For those who don’t know, MedFest is short for Mediterranean Fantasy Festival. It’s 2 days of nothing but belly dancing! Woo hoo!
So, I’m currently in my “research” phase. This is a time consuming, enjoyable, idea processing phase. I go to magazines, Google, Bing, Flickr, and search for images in the likeness of what I want to create. Now, I must tread carefully, I’ve no intention of stealing or making an exact replica of anyone’s work. Just like fashion designers or artists do today, this is how I start creating my design inspiration board. I’ve done several searches and discovered I really like the following images:
- Choice Travels, Tent Interior <<< I like how the arch exists with the screens. Gives the Ottoman/Turkish feel
- Raj Tents, Ottoman <<< These tents are AMAZING! I want to rent one for a massive costume party. HELLO?! Super fun! Take time to browse their other categories. Fabulous photos. Know anyone getting married? Indian weddings? These tent’s would be Super for those large events!
- Arches in Ruins, North Cypress Almond Holidays <<< These feel tudor-esque and somewhat French. Delightful! Besides, if I hadn’t found this image through Bing, I would never have known about this vacation spot on North Cypress, nor realized how beautiful it is!
- Tent Canopys, Unique Decor <<< I love the double arch. Should I add triangle flag trim to give it a “circus” flare?
- Turkish Door, LostInTransit, Sydney Morning Herald <<< Deliciously detailed. Eloquent shaping. Discovering how good the Australians are at posting their newspapers as blogs and just plain ol’ making their online presence searchable.
- Denys James Art Travel in Morocco <<< WOW! I’m floored by all the fantastic photography and arches/doorways found here. The color, the aged feel, I almost feel the heat! Looks like a great Art + Travel opportunity!
- Morocco, a Photographic Tour by Pshaw Photo <<< cool vs. hot, blue vs. teracotta & ruddy sand, hidden vs. seen, architecture & land vs. people, interacting vs. observing. This photographer has really captured a beautiful essence of Morocco.
- 30Elm – Moroccan Interiors <<< So many photos to explore and devour with the eyes! Delightful, inspiring, delish!
As you can tell, there are many different ways to capture morocco, tents, bedouin, circus, tribal, crisp, clean, yet ancient designs. This is what I do to begin to feel out my design. What do I want to feel when I walk in the room? What do I want others to feel. This again gets back into WIIFM (what’s in it for me). The changing tent will have a HUGE audience. What impression do passers by get when they see it? (you only get 8 seconds!) Does it say:
- Come to me!
- Fun can be found here!
- What’s that?
- Ooo I want more…
- Giggle, giggle, giggle!
Since it will be at the back of our booth, I want it to entice people to drop in. Try on some of our tribal adornments. Meet & chat with me, one of the MedFest Performers.
As for my curtains. I’m choosing to only delight myself. And, if I discover something fun in the process of designing/making, all the better! Okay, I admit, I do want to delight my visitors. I want them to think, “Wow, I’ve never seen anything like that in anyone elses home!” Fascination. Wonder. Those are the words to describe my curtains.